by Sandra | September 25th, 2010
The more I use the Aurifil thread for applique the more I love it. I have no endorsement agreement and haven’t received any freebies (darn it). I have purchased my thread at retail prices. I have used all of the threads on the market for applique, but I keep coming back to the Aurifil (if the right color is available). There are several reasons.
1) The thread rarely knots up on me while I am stitching.
2) It is strong. The thread doesn’t break when I really pull on it for my inside points.
3) It doesn’t have those nubs every now along the strand of thread.
4) It doesn’t have lint issues.
5) The colors are current with the fabrics that are out.
I still keep my Mettler cotton #60 and the DMC 2 ply #50 cotton, but only as back-up now. Eventually, I will acquire the full color range of the Aurifil and be one happy camper.
If you want to experiment with a different thread for applique, or are not happy with what you are using now, give the Aurifil a try. At first it seems thicker than others, but in reality it isn’t. It nestles right in with the fabric threads becoming one with the fabric and I don’t have to fight it. Hmmmm, maybe I should call it my Zen applique thread?
I know I have praised this thread before, but it never fails to hit me while I am stitching my applique just how wonderful this thread is to work with. Now if the Aurifil people want to send me thread, I am more than willing to take it. I won’t hold my breath though.