by Sandra | February 2nd, 2011
I always find it fascinating to see how a picture in my head turns out in applique. I made a few changes along the way as I went, but for the most part, I was true to my original idea. I thought you would like to go back and see the stages. These “stages” are how I assign myself goals when I am creating a new quilt. Rather than looking at the finish line, I break up the process into these progressive goals. As I complete each one, I feel a sense of accomplishment and I am inspired to go on to the next one and before I know it, I have reached that finish line.
First it started as an idea quickly sketched before the idea went poof:
A more refined drawing and pattern on the computer:
After choosing a color palette, it was time to begin the applique process:
Applique is now complete and ready for the embroidery transformation:
And my final “Fresco” version as I had originally envisioned:
Here is a sample before and after. The before is on top (I really hope that is obvious). The pictures, as always, do not reveal how beautiful this turned out. The quilting will add the final dimension to polish it off.
For all of you who like to follow the birds I do, I created a Western Bluebird for this pattern
I haven’t quilted it yet because I haven’t decided if I will keep it small or make a larger quilt from it. Since I had always envisioned this as a Fresco-like design, I created “torn corners”. However, these can be left off if desired and a traditional medallion style center will remain.
Oh, and no paint was used in the making of this block. The only artificial enhancement is a slight touch of my white chalk pencils for some of the highlights.