by Sandra | February 10th, 2012
Put a check on this project in the “done” column. The Cupcake Block is finished <confetti falling>.
Pattern will be available down the road sooner rather than later. I have to say, this really was a fun project and I could have easily made several more blocks for a quilt if only I had the time to devote to it. Too many other projects and commitments that come first.
These are the four cupcake “recipes” that are in the pattern. You could make a block with one flavor, or two, or more! For my sample, I made all four so you could see each one finished as an example.
I really loved using Susan Cleveland’s Prarie Pointer Tool for the added pop of color and dimension with the pink Prairie Points. I like incorporating unexpected details that really add a bit of the “unique” to a quilt. The tool made it a breeze. If you are interested, here is Susan’s how to video:
I used Superior’s Kimono Silk #100 for the quilting and it was a DREAM to quilt with. It was the basket weave design that was a bit tedious for me. I have a difficult time remaining focused when it comes to machine work. Go figure.
The daisy design in the outer border was pulled from the fabric design. This aids to marry the center with the border to create a unified overall design that relates to each of the areas.
I was rather partial to the Espresso Cupcake…
I was surprised at how quickly the block went for the applique. Condensing the total time, it took me two days for the applique. Not bad considering the block looks as though it took a lot more time than that.
Too much fun.