by Sandra | July 22nd, 2012
The APWQ rose project is finished and I have officially named the design, “To Grow a Rose”. My brain never really offered up a “fit” name but this will do. By the way, I used Superior’s Kimono #100 silk thread to quilt this with and it was magical in results and experience. Those of you in the APWQ workshop will see this up close and personal.
In the previous post you saw my draping audition with the Oakshott fabric. I knew that between the design “block” center and the Oakshott side borders I wanted to add some kind of trim accent.
The trim color was going to be tricky because I had to be careful not to end up with a Christmas colored pillow. I don’t want Christmas, I want my bedroom colors which are pale butter cream with white and tomato red, and not Christmas red.
Does any new project ever go perfectly? Noooooooooo.
I had several “oops” moments but the initial screw up was the color choice of the accent trim. In my defense, the tonal batik, when scrunched up, lost its attractive tonal qualities and deepened in value. I refused to consider this color was problematic until after I had quilted it! I thought I just had to go further for it to grow on me so I went ahead and quilted it. It didn’t grow on me and I knew it never would. Another reason not to choose colors at night before bedtime.
The other mistake I discovered was once all the parts were sewn together and BEFORE I quilted the top, I squared up and cut it exactly to size. If you aren’t gasping already and are sitting there puzzled, let me fill you in on this little problem-o.
Machine quilting shrinks up the top, so if I cut it to size before quilting, the little bugger is going to end up being at least 1.5″ in perimeter too small–at least. In this case? at least 1.5″ too small for my pillow form. Huge mistake–Huge. I had bought a wonderful down filled 14″ x 20″ pillow form.
But let’s get back to the original boo boo of the wrong trim color. I had taken the massive amount of time to create the individually hand stitched picot trim. All for naught I am afraid because my solution was to whack that picot hand stitched trim completely off to the seam line. Like a scary buzz cut.
Do you really think at this point I am going to unpick all that stitching? Um, no.
My solution was to add a 1/2″ bias strip over the seam line trim butchering job by adding the original fabric I had chosen for the trim but chickened out on using. My original instinct was correct, that fabric was the perfect color. Idiot, me not you.
I copied the top photo again here so you can see the difference between the two trim choices:
The pillow top needed something else to “pull” it all together. A shabby cloth ribbon on each side of the bias strip accent made from that same fabric and roughed up a bit. That was perfect and so much better than my original plan. Mistakes push me to re-think and make it work. I call these “Tim Gunn” moments.
As far as the top being too small for the pillow form? With a few scary moments, I was able to force the pillow form into the pillow cover and viola! I was really pleased with the end result.
I LOVE, no I REALLY LOVE this pillow <insert my pulsing heart> and the Oakshott quilted? absolutely luscious and exquisite.
The Oakshott quilted like a dream and I had no stability issues whatsoever. When you use the good stuff, I find this is the norm rather than the exception. The fabric was worth EVERY penny and I want MORE. This is way superior to the KF Shot Cloth folks–big time.
Just a small “floral”accent pillow for my boudoir that won’t give my husband fits. He will not sleep in a floral bedroom. This one sits on the window seat and not on the bed so all is good and I haven’t offended his man-ly sensibilities.
I want to emphasize that I received no kick backs from the companies I have mentioned by the way, my intention is to pass along to you what I *bought* and used in the project and loved working with enough to share.
This is the last of this project and next I will show those of you who are curious, how I made my bias strips and the fabulous foot I used (Bernina) to get a nice 1/8″ and 1/16″ edge stitch without burying the fabric in my feed dogs.